Decree of SNK RSFSR from 12.26.1919 "On the elimination of illiteracy among the population of the RSFSR"
In order to provide the entire population of the Republic with the opportunity to consciously participate in the political life of the country, the CPC decided:
1. The entire population of the Republic at the age of 8–50 years old, who cannot read and write, is obliged to learn to read and write in native or Russian language at will. Training is conducted in public schools, both existing and established for the illiterate population according to the plans of the People's Commissariat of Education.
2. The deadline for the elimination of illiteracy is established by the provincial and city Councils of Deputies.
3. The People's Commissariat of Education is granted the right to involve all illiterate people in the course of labor service to educate the entire population of the country, who have not been called up to the troops, and who are paid according to the standards of educators.
4. To the closest participation in the works on the elimination of illiteracy by the People's Commissariat of Education and local authorities all organizations of the working population are involved ...
5. Trainees who work for hire, with the exception of those employed in militarized enterprises, the working day is reduced by two hours for the entire time of training with retaining wages.
6. For the elimination of illiteracy, the organs of the People's Commissariat of Education are granted to use people's houses, churches, clubs, private houses, suitable premises in factories, factories and in Soviet institutions.
7. The supplying authorities are obliged to satisfy the requests of the institutions that have the aim of eliminating illiteracy, primarily to other institutions.
8. Those who evade from the obligations established by this decree and prevent illiterate from attending schools are held criminally liable.
9. The People's Commissariat of the Enlightenment is charged with issuing instructions on the application of this decree within two weeks.
Chairman of SNK V. Ulyanov
Managing Director of SNK Vl. Bonch-Bruevich