Decree of the Council of People's Commissars
About cemeteries and funerals
1. All cemeteries, crematoriums and morgues, as well as the organization of the funeral of citizens come under the jurisdiction of the local Soviets.
2. For all citizens are set the same funeral. The division into ranks of both burial places and funerals is destroyed. Note. Funeral religious rites in the temple and in cemeteries can be performed at the request of relatives and friends of the deceased at their own expense.
3. Payment of places in cemeteries is canceled.
4. No burial can be allowed by the cemetery management without a submission from the local department of civil status records of a document certifying the registration of the death of the person.
5. From the moment of publication of this decree, all private funeral enterprises, without ceasing their activities, with all their staff, are registered with the local Councils of Deputies and, as the relevant Soviet technical apparatus is organized, are subject to transfer to the Councils of Deputies on time and in the manner determined by them. The organization of this apparatus must be completed by February 1, 1919.
6. Funeral expenses are made by Councils of Deputies at the place of death of citizens: 1) for the funerals of citizens insured, in accordance with the Social Welfare Provisions of Workers (Coll. Uzak. 1918 No. 89, Art. 906), due to the funeral benefits specified in art. 31, 32 and 36 of the aforementioned Provision, as far as its actual implementation; 2) for the funeral of the deceased pensioners, as well as for persons provided in shelters, hospices, wheelchair homes, at the expense of pension funds of Soc. Security (Art. 49, § 3 of the Provision on Social Security of the Workers); 3) for the funeral of the indigent, but eligible under §§ 1 and 2 of this article, as well as for the homeless - at the expense of local Councils of Deputies; 4) for the funeral of other citizens and members of their families - at the expense of relatives and friends, according to the rate set by the local Council of Deputies.
Note. In the case of the wishes of relatives or relatives of the deceased to make a funeral not at the place of death, the body is transported by relatives at their expense, but the funeral is on general grounds.
7. To instruct the People's Commissariats of Internal Affairs and Health, within one week of the date of publication of this decree, to issue detailed instructions for its implementation, for the application of general sanitary rules for arranging places of burial and burial of citizens, and to determine which of the Departments in local councils responsibility and accountability for the conduct of the funeral business.
Signed: Chairman of the Council of People's Commissars V. Ulyanov (Lenin).
Chief Executive Officer of the Council of People's Commissars V. Bonch-Bruevich.
December 7, 1918.
Published in No. 271 of the News of the All-Russian Central Executive Committee of the Soviets of December 11, 1918.
Source: Collection of Government Legislations and Orders for 1917-1918. Office of the Affairs of the USSR Council of People's Commissars M. 1942, p. 1275−1276.
Photo for the announcement on the main page: aif.ru
Photo lead: cemetery. su